Project description Los Angeles METRO (USA): Guidance system for the Park & Ride areas
Reduce traffic in one of the world’s most congested cities
Los Angeles (LA) traffic congestion is one of the worst in the world. According to studies, in 2018, 80% of customers in the Metro’s park & ride areas spent too much time looking for a space to park and, 30% of the spaces were occupied by non-transit customers, depriving Metro customers of a space to park their vehicle to continue with the alternative transport.
Los Angeles Metro needed to provide additional parking spaces to change the trend in the declining passenger numbers.
On the other hand, while testing different outdoor parking solutions, they came across the additional problem of an environment with a high level of magnetic noise caused by the proximity of the parking area to the trains.
In order for LA’s Metro to achieve greater control over its parking and to gather accurate and real-time data on parking space occupation and rotation, Parking Sense developed its own indoor parking sensor. They selected the U-Spot DUO solution for the deployment of the 2000 sensors in the outdoor parking.
The selected U-Spot DUO system uses magnetic + infrared sensors to detect the status of each parking space and send all occupancy information to a central management unit. The system’s dual detection provides great reliability for a challenging magnetic influence environment.
Thanks to the implemented solution, a passenger may quickly find a parking spot in the Park & Ride areas and is another satisfied metro customer who can get to his or her destination faster and calmer.
This service includes:
- Dual detection Sensors: magnetic + infrared
- Device management
Fastprk, parking solution to detect the availability of free parking spaces on and off-street.U-Spot DUO
- Shortening the time spent finding a parking space.
- The increase in the number of public transport users represents an increase in the income generated.
- Traffic and CO2 emission decrease.
- 95% reliability in an environment with great magnetic influences thanks to the combination of two detection systems.
- The long-range sensors can be deployed without the need of repeaters up to 500 meters, which is very relevant for outdoor parking deployments.
- The double-encapsulation design can withstand harsh weather conditions such as the heat of the LA sun.
- Autonomous wireless sensors. Simplified system with minimum maintenance.
- Increased efficiency of the public transport.
- User satisfaction.
- More efficient parking management system.
“Seriously, had I not seen it with my own eyes in LA, I would not have believed how good your product works, 97-98% accuracy and hitting sensors from the gateway over 300 meters away, very impressive.”
Larry Eade, Vice President Operations, Parking Sense