Project description Smart parking for Touristic Coaches. Sagrada Familia. Barcelona
Speed up Touristic Coaches parking at the Sagrada Familia surroundings to reduce the traffic congestions (Barcelona)
The number of people that are visiting the Sagrada Familia landmark has significantly increased since the Pope declared it a basilica in 2010. As a result, a big volume of people living in or near the area have expressed multiple complaints about the traffic congestion caused by the large influx of tourists and coaches in the area.
In order to resolve the existing conflicts between buses, tourists, neighbors and the vehicles circulating in the area, the city council’s company BSM (Barcelona de Serveis Municipals), decided to deploy the U-Spot DUO smart parking solution.
The solution chosen for this project was U-Spot DUO. 164 sensors were installed with 20 m distance among each other, along the four surrounding streets to the Sagrada Familia:
Marina street cutting with Avda Diagonal
Consell de Cent street,
North Bus Station
Sardenya street (near the Barcelona Theatre).
The system uses magnetic sensors to detect the status of each parking space and sends all the information regarding the occupation to a central management unit.
The information is transmitted to the users in real time through several information panels located in the Neruda, Hispanitat and Gaudí squares. Bus drivers can also check the availability of free spaces through the website.
The system includes:
- U-Spot DUO wireless and autonomous sensors
- Dynamic Message Signs
- Fastprk software platform for system management
If you want to know more about how the complete solution works:U-Spot DUO
- Real-time information about the availability of parking spaces.
- Reduce the time spent in the search for free parking spaces (for the driver and the 50 passengers ridding each coach).
- Increased satisfaction and well-being of drivers, visitors and neighbors in the area.
- BSM’s enhances an effective and dynamic way to manage coach fleets.
- Traffic congestion and CO2 emissions are reduced in the area.
- Autonomous system with minimum maintenance.