Project description Smart Parking System in Burlington, Canada
The City of Burlington (Ontario, Canada), with over 180,000 inhabitants and its direct access to the Lake Ontario, is an ideal venue for short and mid-term leisure. The City thus face mobility issues to manage its daily and summer parking offer between the needs of people living locally and the ones expressed by the visitors. To improve this situation, they decided to invest into a Smart Parking System which consists in:
- 434 on-street long range parking sensors U-Spot for the main streets of the city centre
- 11 off-street parking monitored with U-Flow Parking sensors, configured for 2-way counting
- Total number of parking spots monitored: 1337
- 1 Variable Message Sign in the city centre to indicate free spots in the main street
- The Parking U-Admin Control Center for real time management and data analytics
Burlington is now using the system for a better understanding of drivers’ behaviour within the city: peak hour, average session length, off-street parking use, preferred areas etc… Thanks to Urbiotica’s Parking U-Admin Control Center, the parking manager can analyse parking occupation, on-street rotations, off-street entrances and exits and access the key information delivered by the system in a quick and effective way. By 2018, once Burlington will have a complete overview of the demand, the policies and offer can be adjusted and the system will turn into a powerful guidance and enforcement tool for the municipality.
The system has been rolled out and is operated by PTP, Urbiotica certified partner for Canada.
Photo Credit: Global News
Burlington project press publications: