Outdoor urban parking guidance
The challenge – reduce time spent looking for parking
Parking guidance in cities is a basic part of achieving the traffic reduction objectives, which is now a priority for most of them as congestion is already chronic in many cities. This situation not only causes an excess in the legal limits of carbon emissions, but also generates important losses of time and high levels of stress for citizens.
One of the big challenges for Public Administrations and Urban Service Managers nowadays is to reduce the congestion produced by the search for parking in order to improve mobility within the city, and consequently, the environmental quality and well-being of citizens.
The parking guidance solution consists in equipping each parking space of the city streets or entrances and exits of a delimited parking area with wireless sensors. The sensors detect the presence of vehicles in the first case, or when they pass over in the second, to transform this data into useful parking information for the management and more efficient use of parking (availability, rotations, etc..).
The information collected by the system transmits the free parking options to the drivers through dynamic message signs and/or APPs for users. The picture of the availability of parking spaces allows users to choose the best parking option according to the mobility policy of each location, greatly speeding up the process. The guidance solution reduces congestion and the pollution generated by it, and consequently eases the well-being of citizens.
The parking managers may access the data generated on the platform, where they can set-up and review all the activity taking place in the car parks. They have precise information concerning the use of the parking spaces, which is good for decision making based on real data.
There are two detection methods depending on the type of parking:
Solution using U-Spot simple space sensors: a sensor is places in each parking space. The system collects the precise information on the status of each parking spot and transmits the information of the available spaces to the user through Variable Message Signs.
Solution using U-Flow counting sensors: used when there are well-defined parking areas with clear antrances and exits. Sensors are installed at the entrances and exits to count how many vehicles anter and how many leave. Considering the total capacity previously set-up, the system calculates the total availability and transmits it to the users through Variable Message Signs.
The guidance solution includes:
- U-Spot Wireless sensors for single space detection and/or U-Flow counting sensors to detect and transmit in real time the availability of spaces.
- Dynamic and high-quality message signs adapted to urban environments, which transmit the information related to the availability of free spaces.
- Mobile application for citizens to know in real time the status of available spaces as well as the defined regulation.
- Management web and mobile applications for device management and parking use analyzing.
- API for the integration of the system with third-party systems, (other car parks equipped with access controls systems already implemented in the city).
The solution can also be complemented with some other options/solutions aiming on the efficient management of the parking use to increase rotations and consequently the availability of free spaces.
How it works?
U-SPOT SINGLE SPACE DETECTION
- The driver goes to a free space guided by the information displayed on a dynamic message sign and/or a user mobile app and parks his vehicle. The U-Spot sensor detects the arrival of the vehicle and sends the information to the platform.
- The platform collects the data and transforms it into updated information, and transmits it through the dynamic message signs and/or apps, indicating the new availability status, which in this case means one free space less.
- When the vehicle goes away, U-Spot no longer detects its presence, and sends information again so that the system transmits that the space is unoccupied again.
- In U-Admin platform, the manager can handle the published information, as well as configure, supervise and consult all the system’s activity.
U-FLOW COUNTING SENSOR DETECTION
- The driver goes to a parking area and accesses it through a well-defined entrance. The U-Flow sensor installed at this entrance detects that the vehicle drives over it and sends the information to the platform.
- The platform collects the data and recalculates the availability based on the total capacity of the parking vs this new access and sends the updated data to the dynamic message signs and/or the user apps, indicating in this case a free space less.
- When the vehicle exits the area and passes over the U-Flow sensor intalled in the exit lane, the process takes place in reverse. The system transmits the updated data indicating one more free space to the total available in the parking area.
- Whenever reserved parking spaces (PRM, electric vehicles…) are monitored with U-Spot sensors, they detect vehicles parking over and send the information to the platform. It can be deduced from normal space availability and information is given to the users according to the defined space category.
- At U-Admin platform, the manager can handle the published information, as well as configure, supervise and consult all the system’s activity.
Drivers are guided through the dynamic message signs and/or user mobile applications to the areas with available spaces avoiding the circulation of vehicles in search of a free space to park.
The use of the different parking areas is optimized thanks to real-time information on where to find free spaces.
Information regarding the availability of parking is accessible through the Internet, allowing users to consult the status and plan their journey based on real options.
By guiding vehicles to free parking spaces, it reduces up to 30% the traffic generated by vehicles driving around in search of a parking space. It means a proportional decrease in the pollution generated.
Users park more easily, reducing their stress and increasing their satisfaction and well-being.
Informing about the lack of free spaces in the center avoids unnecessary traffic jams due to parking search and favors the use of public transport and/or alternative mobility options.
Optimizing the use of parking spaces and information on parking availability speeds up mobility in the center and reduces chaos, making citizens more willing to travel to the center for shopping.
Influence people choices toward indoor and P+R parking to limit the traffic in the city centre.
Promote alternative parking and transport mode by communicating the P+R real time availability.
Help occasional visitors find the best way to park to deliver a better holiday experience.
Completely synergize resource sucking relationships via premier niche markets.
Why do we stand out?
- The only technology in the world that offers single space and counting detection systems using the same communication and software infrastructure.
- Robust devices and communication system for reliable and maintenance-free vehicle detection.
- Integrated solution from the detection to the dynamic message signs and guidance APPs.
- Simple software integration of external parking systems and third-party system publication through modern, standardized APIs.