Collect reliable data for traffic management
Wireless magnetometer sensors offer an adapted, cost-efficient and reliable traffic management solution in many ways.
As the population is concentrating more and more in urban areas, traffic keeps on growing and making traffic conditions very concerning in most of the cities worldwide. A continuous and reliable knowledge of the traffic conditions and its typology is highly necessary for managers to regulate mobility properly. It also helps in the long term to make decisions in terms of mobility plans, policies and road infrastructure evolutions.
Data collection using magnetometer sensors has great advantages with respect to inductive loops, such as its simple installation and the lack of maintenance, as well as other features mentioned further on.
The traffic data collection and intersection management solution consists in installing U-Flow magnetic sensors in any road lane, which will detect the pass of the vehicles and generate useful information for traffic management such as:
- Number of vehicles per period of time
- Road occupancy
- Average speed
- Classification per speed and size
- Time between vehicles
- Traffic density
Traffic intersection management
The information collected by the sensors is delivered through the U-Box gateway to:
- Traffic light controllers allowing the dynamic management of road intersection according to the real conditions of traffic of each driving way. The information delivered by the sensors through the main standard protocols is used to adjust the established intersection regulation strategy.
- Cloud platform where the mobility manager can analyze detailed and historical information in an easy way, to define and adjust the traffic policy, the needs of infrastructure evolution, as well as the mobility plans.
The traffic solution includes:
- Wireless magnetometer U-Flow counting sensors: detects and transmits the information of each vehicle passing over it, with 99% reliability and in real time.
- U-Box gateway: generates the aggregated and derived information to deliver it to local traffic light controllers or send it to the cloud. Its coverage can be extended with U-Flag repeaters, which power supply can be ensured through public lightening or solar panels.
- U-Admin Traffic Control Center: monitors real time traffic conditions and analyzes the historical information collected by the system.
- API for the integration of the system with third-party systems: traffic management system, smart city platforms, citizen information APPs, among others.
How does it work?
1) When a vehicle drives over a U-Flow sensor, it is automatically detected and the sensor sends the information to the U-Box gateway.
2) Installation is possible in two different ways depending on the information required:
- 1 sensor per lane: U-Box generates information regarding volume of vehicles, road occupancy and time between vehicles.
- 2 sensors per lane: U-Box generates information regarding volume of vehicles, road occupancy and time between vehicles, as well as additional information such as speed average, classification per speed and size, and traffic density.
3) In stand-alone mode, the U-Box delivers the information to the local traffic light controllers through one of the standard protocols defined.
4) In Cloud mode, the U-Box sends the information to U-Admin Traffic Control Center for further analyzing, through 3G, Ethernet or WiFi networks. The information is available to be integrated with 3rd party systems through the standard API.
The system offers over 99% of reliability for vehicle detection, which is the highest rate available on the market.
10 years of useful lifetime for all devices.
The sensors’ installation is much easier compared to similar solutions. The architecture of the radio communication network makes its deployment flexible, making it much simpler to cover wide areas efficiently and with the minimum number of devices.eful lifetime for all devices.
There are no recurrent maintenance tasks required thanks to the quick and automatic calibration of the sensor, based on its environment, and the robustness of the communication technology and devices.
Thanks to the design, long lifetime of the solution, and the optimized installation and maintenance processes, the global cost of the solution for the customer is very low.
The solution allows a direct connection to local traffic light controllers for regulation or through our cloud API for 3rd party platforms, using for both market standard protocols.
The cloud version offers an intuitive web platform to analyze all the information collected by the system.
ITS specialists can benefit from the reliable traffic information to optimize the traffic signal coordination, thanks to a direct integration between the system and their controllers. Multiple scenarios and integrations have been standardized over time to offer a plug-and-play solution.
No matter if it covers a single point or a citywide installation, the remote traffic monitoring allows the city manager to gather all the information needed to analyze the vehicles flows, work on the mobility plan and efficiently plan the road infrastructure evolution required to improve mobility.