The challenge – Have reliable inter-urban traffic information available, minimizing investment and maintenance
Traffic congestion results in many wasted hours in traffic jams, a negative impact on the environment and major time and fuel consumption costs. Some studies say that this can amount to 34 billion dollars a year in the United States – with 65% of that value related to lost hours; 10 billion pounds in London and 111.3 billion euros in Europe.
Today, many public administrations face unsustainable traffic and congestion situations in their cities or regions that generate harmful levels of pollution to health and major distress for their citizens. Current traffic monitoring systems are subject to high operating, installation and maintenance costs, making them only accessible to large administrations.
Public administrations want both a reliable and accessible real-time information system that allows them to extend monitoring beyond major roads, enabling a more efficient definition of road maintenance strategies and the determinations of mobility infrastructure plans based on more reliable information.
The solutions – technology for monitoring inter-urban traffic
Our traffic monitoring solution is a built-in solution based on wireless sensors on roads that provide real-time information with long-term reliability and an affordable operating cost. This means monitoring can be extended beyond major roads, enabling a more efficient definition of road maintenance strategies and the determination of mobility infrastructure plans based on more reliable information.
Real-time and historical information provides the necessary data to:
– Design action plans on the current traffic situation.
– Helps define strategic mobility infrastructures plans based on reliable information.
– Plan and anticipate the need for road surface maintenance thanks to detailed information on the frequency and types of vehicles that travel on each road.
– Generate alarms for critical congestion situations.
– Inform citizens of the traffic in real-time, providing alternative route options.
Real-time and historical traffic information is sent through easy-to-use management and display applications specifically designed for this.
They enable easy use of the data provided on:
– Traffic volume.
– Road occupancy.
– Average traffic speed.
– Classification of vehicle traffic by size of vehicles and speeds.
Deployment and maintenance of the solution requires minimum investment with quick and easy installation, and hardly any engineering work.
– Big savings compared to inductive loop installations, number plate recognition cameras and infrared radars.
– Helps extend the use of monitoring without increasing investment.
– Constant reliability over time without the need for intrusive maintenance.
The operating and maintenance autonomy of the solution means that it can be easily installed in any location regardless of how isolated this might be because:
– The communication can be made through mobile networks.
– Battery and solar power can be combined, reducing dependence on external power sources.
– The solution has a 10-year useful life.
The solution is easily integrated with all current ITS systems, completing the traffic information that they provide and making it possible to reuse and take advantage of the investments in these systems.
Solutions for you
Economic efficiency. Installation and maintenance accessible for all.
Unlike other monitoring systems characterised by unaffordable installation and maintenance costs for many administrations, our solution adapts to the needs of even the smallest cities:
– Minimum investment. The installation is quick, easy and requires minimum engineering work.
– It minimises maintenance needs thanks to the autonomy of the solution.
– The system complements existing traffic equipment.
Real-time information enables administrations to provide citizens with an actual snapshot of the traffic at any time and therefore improve the flow on the roads.
The citizen will be able to anticipate and choose the best route, helping to determine when additional or alternative mobility options to the car (public transport, bicycle, car sharing, etc.) are necessary to reach a destination.
Useful information for defining traffic strategies
Real-time and historical information on traffic volume, road occupancy and type of vehicles with their average speed provides the necessary data to:
– Design action plans
– Develop traffic strategies
– Plan road surface maintenance.
Optimising operational costs
The solution is an accessible investment thanks to:
– Easy and quick installation. Big savings compared to alternative installations
– Minimum engineering work
– No maintenance required
– Integration and interoperability with existing equipment: The technology and information provided is integrated and can complement that offered by existing traffic equipment. It provides a complete picture of the traffic conditions in addition to the information offered by CCTV equipment, radar, Bluetooth, etc.
Opportunity to monitor traffic in small and medium administrations
The reliability and cost efficiency of the solution makes it possible to cover the market niche of small and medium administrations, which until now could not afford the costly investment of current monitoring systems.
It is a large market which needs and demands solutions for unsustainable traffic situations for which there is a major business opportunity.
New applications and value-added services for the city
The possibility of being able to increase monitoring points both in and outside of cities leads to a wide range of applications and value-added services that can be designed for better management of cities.
Why do our traffic monitoring solutions stand out?
Our smart solution for traffic monitoring stands out because:
- It is a system easy to install, accessible to all Public Administrations.
- The real-time and historical information on traffic volume, road occupancy and type of vehicles to react and to define traffic management strategies.
- The possibility of configurating alerts and notifications to improve mobility in the city.